Luftwaffe Research Group

Please register for an account to be able to post

Czech Aircraft Avia B-534, Bk-534

Tom Willis

Level 3 Account
Thanks Martin & Hein
The time-lines seems to fit and we have the connection with Hermann Kugler his photo album and mention of him being associated with JFS Werneuchen that had Avias on strength at the time.
So the lost 'Legion Condor' film is most likely the correct assumption.
The other photos of Fw44s etc with civil regs I have a connection with FFS(A) & (A/B) Neubiberg from 1937/38/39 plus later FAR13 so perhaps Hermann Kugler did his flying training with them?
The regs are - Fw44 - D-EEZY; D-EKKU; D-EIKA; D-EOAH?
He72 - D-EREO; D-E?OF;
Bu131 - D-EVOF
Possible He50? - D-IGPO

Martin Vyroubal

Level 2 Account
Country
Czech-Republic
Thank you Tom, I don't get the connection of the the lost 'Legion Condor' film and the Avia in the photo. Is there any evidence Avias were used for the filming? (Or painted before the film was cancelled?)

Tom Willis

Level 3 Account
Thanks Martin
I do not have any connection with the lost film of Legion Condor other than the photo of the Avia B.534 in spurious Spanish Republican colours for possible propaganda purposes - the same time line, photo source of Hermann Kugler and his connections with JFS Werneuchen

Tom Willis

Level 3 Account
Thanks Martin
If you do not consider the tail tri-color markings (red/yellow/purple (odd shading of dark but not black) - large band of the same shade as what I consider red on the tail -blank cockades on wings & fuselage then what do they convey to you. I know that you have stated this before but a step-by-step would be helpful. Thanks

Martin Vyroubal

Level 2 Account
Country
Czech-Republic
Thank you Tom, I enclose a close-up of a similar B534 to clarify my opinion regarding the (non)Republican marking on the plane. Republicans did not use cockades on wings and fuselage...if the red roundels were really red, the marking would be Japanese! The rudder in the E-bay photo does look tri-color, in my opinion the bottom is unpainted original khaki, in the middle we have a light colored band (white?), the top is gray. I can go on regarding the bands on the fuselage and the upper wing, have a look at the enclosed photo please, it is hard to guess colors from a b/w photo.
534-Martin V.jpg

Honza Matejny

Level 3 Account
Country
Czech-Republic
Just a note on the accuracy of any "Spanish Republican" designation. The filmmakers didn't bother. I would rather see it as "free inspiration". I would like to remind you to support this view appearance of Avias B / Bk.534 representing Polish fighters in the film "Kampfgeschwader Lützow". Curtiss H.75 marking was also a free inspiration for RAF marking in this film.
The Spanish Republican Air Force first used red-yellow-purple cockades in combination with red stripes. Over time, the cockades disappeared, leaving only red stripes. The tricolor remained on the signpost. I can imagine that professional consultants told this to the filmmakers and then applied it to the plane to make it look something like a "Spanish" plane.
And I can think of the following. Why would they pull the plane to the open area of the airport while repainting the marking and take such a picture (in post 93)? Dozens or hundreds of planes oversprayed the Luftwaffe every day, and it was nothing special. So why would anyone take a picture and pull an airplane out of the workshop. But an airplane with unusual markings is a different case. That was worth the photo. I understand that it is good to have all the documents confirmed, but sometimes it is not possible. They will probably never solve this ... :)
And your image (in post 108) is a whole or just a cutout?