Luftwaffe Research Group

Please register for an account to be able to post

General / Self-Publications Die Augen des OKW. Fernaufklärer: Teil 1

5_10640.jpg
Title: Die Augen des OKW. Fernaufklärer: Teil 1
Subtitle: Die Chronik des Versuchsverbandes des Ob. d. L. bzw. des OKL von 1943 bis 1945
Author(s): Horn, Jan
Language: German
Hardcover: 342 pages
Publisher: (07-15, 2021)
ISBN-10:
ISBN-13:
978-3000689338
Size (LxBxH): --.- 0 x --,- x -,- cm

'The Versuchsverband des Oberbefehlshabers der Luftwaffe (The Experimental Unit of the Commander-in-Chief of the Luftwaffe) is probably one of the most secretive units of the German Air Force, not least because hardly any records or documents on this unit were still available after the end of the Second World War. The Versuchsverband was re-formed in 1943 by renaming the 4. (F)/Ob. d. L. and the "Gruppe Gartenfeld", which had been established on behalf of the Oberkommando, as a result of a demand by the OKWt.

The tasks of this new unit were multiple and ranged from strategic and tactical reconnaissance for the OKW, via the "transport role" for the OKW-Amtsgruppe Ausland/Abwehr/Fremde Heere (Foreign Defence Group/Foreign Armies) to aircraft operational testing for all weapons, but especially for the General der Aufklärungsflieger (General of Reconnaissance Aircraft). In February 1944, the 2.Staffel, as the Gartenfeld Group was called from 1943 onwards, was separated from the unit and formed the basis for a new combat squadron - the KG200.'

(My translation)

source: https://www.zinnfigur.com/Buecher-M...des-Ob-d-L-bzw-des-OKL-von-1943-bis-1945.html

see also

Jim Perry

Staff member
Management
Country
United-States
I've had my copy for a couple of weeks now. It's a nicely done publication. I will say that depending upon where your copy needs to be shipped to it can be rather expensive (USA for me). Still worth it though. One thing I immediately noticed was that, along with the usual table of losses, there are codes/SKZ throughout the narrative - almost daily for the various sorties, much of which is likely derived from FB. There is also documentation for a very rare Ju88 subtype, the Ju88C-7. (Yes, that is C-7, not G-7.)

If the rest of the series matches this standard I'll just need to grin and bare it when it comes to cost, and get them all.

Dan Zamansky

Level 2 Account
I've had my copy for a couple of weeks now. It's a nicely done publication. I will say that depending upon where your copy needs to be shipped to it can be rather expensive (USA for me).

Jim,

Try to ask around DHL, FedEx, UPS etc. Recently, I have noticed their shipping costs have become relatively reasonable. They are still expensive, but ordering a UPS delivery, including pickup from Christian Schmidt, may now cost less than more conventional delivery services. This is rather an indictment of those services than a favourable reflection on the cost of UPS, but we live in a world where few things work as they should, let alone cost as little as they should!

Dan

Dan Zamansky

Level 2 Account
Michael,

Good to see you back online :)

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is a firm no. The time span of the book is from the end of January 1943 to the final days of the war, and it is focused on the operations of Versuchsverband ObdL, with several interesting mentions of KG200 interspersed in the text. Therefore, it remains possible that the Luftwaffe used Soviet transports or bombers before 1943, or in units other than the Versuchsverband, but any such use lies outside the scope of this book.

I would add a cautionary note that apart from the well-known transfer of some captured Soviet multi-engine aircraft to the Finns, no Luftwaffe involvement with, let alone operational employment of, Soviet bombers or transports has ever been confirmed, as far as I am aware.

Regards,

Dan

Michael Roch

Level 2 Account
no Luftwaffe involvement with, let alone operational employment of, Soviet bombers or transports has ever been confirmed, as far as I am aware.
Thank you, Dan.
There is this loss report of 'Douglas 63 W.Nr. 844706', operated by 2./Versuchsverband Ob.d.L. and damaged due to pilot error at Breslau-Gandau on 29 January 1944.
844706 cannot be a Douglas construction number, but if you add a 1 in front of the number, you will get 1844706 which was a PS-84 (licence-built Douglas DC-3) built in late 1942.
So this is no confimation, of course, but it is a hint that Soviet-built transports may have been used as late as 1944, perhaps for instructional or demonstration purposes, but perhaps also for clandestine missisions behind the Soviet lines...

Dan Zamansky

Level 2 Account
Michael,

The text of the book, page 182, reports this very aircraft as a "Potez 63 (Werk-Nr. 844 706)" and as a "Douglas 63, (Serial No. 844 706)... DB-7A "Havoc". All of this in the same paragraph on the bottom of this page, with no explanation of the discrepancy. This displays one of the difficulties of Eigenverlag (sel-publishing) - the absence of professional proof-reading. There are several instances in the text where mutually exclusive statements are made in close proximity to one another. This does not detract from the large volume of very interesting information provided in the text, but in certain instances it does cause considerably confusion, and this is one of these.

Do any forum members know whether 844 706 is a possible serial number for a Potez?

Regards,

Dan