Luftwaffe Research Group

Please register for an account to be able to post

• The forum’s staff members are becoming increasingly frustrated with having to edit member’s posts to remove gaps in abbreviations and to frequently ask members to include sources with the images they post. Please, can all LRG members take a fresh look at the forum’s Rules/Code of Conduct: https://www.luftwaffe-research-group.com/pages/LRG_Forum_Rules_Code_of_Conduct/ Any members who continue to post gaps in abbreviations and post images without a source will risk having their LRG account downgraded to ‘Level 1 Membership’. This places substantial limitations on your ability to view and appreciate the forum’s content. Signed, LRG Admin and Management

Flettner Fl282

Mathias Büchner

Level 3 Account
$_57-2.JPG $_57-1.JPG
URLs (links) are hidden to LRG Level 1/Level 2 members and unregistered users.

According to Steve Coates, Deutsche Hubschrauber 1939-1945, Motorbuch Verlag, this looks like Flettner Fl282V12 CJ+FS during demonstrations to an Italian Navy delegation on 10th January 1943 near Rechlin.

Kind regards
Mathias

Steve Coates

Staff member
Management
I'm more inclined these days to think the location is Berlin-Johannisthal. There were a whole series of photos taken by Kreigsberichter Veith. Occasional examples crop up. Some give Rechlin as the location whereas others give Berlin. These photos are usually marked as being 'reserviert fuer Adler' which I presume means they were intended for publication in Der Adler at some future point.

View attachment 37178 View attachment 37179

According to Steve Coates, Deutsche Hubschrauber 1939-1945, Motorbuch Verlag, this looks like Flettner Fl282V12 CJ+FS during demonstrations to an Italian Navy delegation on 10th January 1943 near Rechlin.

Kind regards
Mathias

I have a problem:
Matthias says: Flettner Fl282V12 CJ+FS
But stammkennzeichen.de and our db say it should read/ be CJ+SF. Could Matthias have a letter switch/ typo or are the two others wrong?

Steve Coates

Staff member
Management
Christian

No that's not a possibility in my view. Transportstaffel40 was initially established at Mühldorf where it worked up prior to transferring to Ainring and then moving into Austria and back again.

I don't think the Fl282V12 ever joined Transportstaffel40 although a strength listing from late April refers to 3 x Fl282 and 3 x Fa223. The exact movements of the two Fl282s flown south by the company's chief test pilot (Fuisting) and deputy test pilot (Reimann) aren't known but I believe the Fl282V12 was hidden in a mill at Penzberg (according to an interrogation of Flettner) and then surrendered to the Americans. The Fl282V23 was surrendered to the Americans at Wackersberg.

The Fl282V12 is known to have flown into Nellingen-Stuggart on 28/5/45. The captured helicopters were initially given very temporary markings (very nicely shown in these photos) to denote the change of 'ownership' before more permanent markings were applied at Nellingen-Stuttgart. The location isn't obvious from these photos but must be southern Germany sometime during mid-late May 1945. Interestingly, the pilot shown in one of the photos is Fuisting who as a rule made the transfer flights of the Fl282V23.

Steve