Luftwaffe Research Group

Please register for an account to be able to post

Other Kit Manufacturer Il-2 Sturmovik - USSR, July 1941

Alessandro Cordoni

Level 2 Account
Country
Italy
Hello to all,
I take this opportunity to publish my latest work, the Il-2 German war prey.

Following the Barbarossa operation, the Luftwaffe took possession of a hundred Il-2s which were never used because they were considered technically poor and difficult to pilot. Some specimens were however tested and one of them was probably also exhibited at the Berlin Aviation Museum.

The subject I chose is one of those tested in Rechlin in July 1941.

The 1/72 scale model is from the Eastern Express (Toko mold).

I hope you like it and look forward to your comments.

Alessandro

110.jpg 002.jpg 007.jpg 009.jpg 013.jpg 146.jpg

Tom Willis

Level 3 Account
Thanks Alessandro
A very nice and skilled model - my interests lie in the history/use of captured types in Germany so from what source do you know of the specific use of a 100 Il-2s. There were a small number of DB-3m and Il-4 aircraft gathered together and made ready to ship to Finland. But apart from testing the odd flyable Il-2s that fell into German hands only a few of the early variants were at Rechlin. Most were tested and photographed at local level as was the one you modeled with Eastern Front yellow tail band.

Alessandro Cordoni

Level 2 Account
Country
Italy
Thanks Tom for the compliments to the model.
The information I have is gleaned from various publications I have consulted, I am trying to retrieve the source which claims that the Luftwaffe has taken over a hundred Il-2s.
Do you think instead that this aircraft has never been to Rechlin?

Tom Willis

Level 3 Account
Thanks Aleesandro
I have many photos of different Il-2s in German hands - only the ones without the Eastern Front yellow fuselage band were at Rechlin. All of the others have the yellow band. It could very well have gone to Rechlin but I am not 100% certain.