Luftwaffe Research Group

Please register for an account to be able to post

Miscellaneous Ju52 - 17./KGzbV5 (later redesignated I./LLG1), with 'Comet' emblem, in flight, 1940

Armin Wohlbach

Staff member
Level 2 Account
URLs (links) are hidden to LRG Level 1 members and unregistered users.

inflight.jpg

A very rare pic showing a Ju52 with the comet emblem of shortlived 17./KGrzbV5, most likely during spring 1940. The unit became famous with the capture of belgian fortress Eben Emael when towing the gliders of Sturmabteilung Koch on 10.05.1940.
Inspite of the (fake) staffel designation it was a transportgroup consisting of a gruppenstab and four staffeln - like the very most KGrzbV.
There was no connection to KGrzbV5 which was formed much later.
The personnel of 17./KGrzbV5 was trained for/in 'special' operation duties. Apart from it's role at Eben Emael the unit dropped paratrooper dummies on 10.05.1940.
17./KGrzbV5 became I./LLG1 in the summer of 1940.

ATB
Armin

Paul Higgins

Staff member
Administrator
Management
Country
Scotland
Guys... I note Armin's comments in post #1 above. As he informs that the 'KGrzbV5' unit this aircraft was attached to was not in any way related to the later unit with the same designation, I do not think it would be appropriate to move this thread into that forum, nor to open a separate forum for a unit which had only a short-lived existence.

However, given that the unit designation was changed relatively early in the war to I./LLG1, I have changed the header to reflect this, and have moved this thread into that forum, rather than leave it unloved in the Miscellaneous folder.

Göran Larsson

Staff member
Management
Country
Sweden
Post #2: According to the notes on the back of an example of the same photo which was at eBay in 2013 and dated 1940.05.26, the a/c landed in a field by the railway station of Brommundal (near Hamar in Norway) and was in the air again after hard work from the soldiers of 1./234. It seems to have been bogged down in soft ground. I haven't identified the unit which gave hands to the 'rescue'. From the photo it seems to have been bogged down on a soft field. I believe this is the area east of the railway station which today is a built up living area.

Ju 52_KGrzbV 5_2-2_Komet embl396_Brummunddal_Norway_1940-05-26.jpg Ju 52_KGrzbV 5_2-1_Komet embl396_Brummunddal_Norway_1940-05-26_Map_4.jpg

Göran Larsson

Staff member
Management
Country
Sweden
Finding a 17./KgrzbV5 Ju52 in Norway in 1940 was in connection with 18 Ju52 / DFS230 combinations flying from Aalborg in Denmark via Oslo-Fornebu to Trondheim-Vaernes on June1, 1940. Originally 21 are to have set out from Aalborg but only 18 are to have made the flight successfully. One DFS230 lost the towing line on the flight between Fornebu and Vaernes, crash-landing on Barkaldkjølen, a mountain near Tolga. Later retrieved for a
URLs (links) are hidden to LRG Level 1 members and unregistered users.
. The Germans first intended an attack on the airfield at Bardufoss but instead switched to reinforcing Gen. Dietl´s 3.Geb.div. at Narvik, being pressed up to Björnfjell by the Swedish border. However, the plans were scrapped and the gliders returned to Germany.