Luftwaffe Research Group

Please register for an account to be able to post

Britain - RAE Farnborough & Other UK Serials RN228 (No. 1426 Flight) - Bf109G-2/trop, WNr.10639, ex "Black 6" of 8./JG77

Göran Larsson

Staff member
Management
Country
Sweden
Going through some old files I found photos I took at the Duxford Flying Legends Air Show 13-14 July 1996:
Bild (219).jpg Bild (216).jpg Bild (218).jpg Bild (220).jpg Bild (221).jpg Bild (217).jpg Bild (222).jpg
Source: My own photos

A PDF file on the history of this aircraft from the RAF Museum can be found
URLs (links) are hidden to LRG Level 1 members and unregistered users.

Bernd Peters

Level 2 Account
Many thanks for your fantastic photos and the PDF file of this plane Göran.

As far as I can remember, I´d followed the restauration of this Bf109G-2 from the eightees on, reading an article an the monthly Magazin Aeroplane Illustrated and shortly afterwards in Jet&Prop or the "forrunner" Flugzeug. I was very happy to read, that Russ Snadden and his team brought this plane into air again. What great and fantastic sight it must have been for the team!
Sadly, I never got the chance to see it flying "life" and after the crash an the decision to restore it not into flying condition again, I had to bought a VHS Video of this plane, produced (if I remember rightly) from the RAF Museum. The only way to see it in air again;).

Good to see these Fotos:). Thanks for them.
Bernd

Göran Larsson

Staff member
Management
Country
Sweden
Thanks Bernd :) I was lucky to see it fire up its engine with spurts of smoke and exhaust flames, taxi out and take part in the air show. It was exciting to listen to its DB605 from the moment it started up, took-off and flew over. I have the VHS video of the Flying Legends Airshow 1996 here next to me while writing this. I will take a look at it again :)

E

eBay Trawling Team

1. Sold as: Jg 77, Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2 RN228, Horse Guards Parade
$_57.JPG
URLs (links) are hidden to LRG Level 1 members and unregistered users.

Göran Larsson

Staff member
Management
Country
Sweden
Post #6 looks like a Bf109F. Can it be one of the a/c captured by the "Aussies" in the RAAF (edit: or South Africans in the SAAF) in N.Africa? A painted over II.Gruppe bar and fuselage MTO band. Enlarged from post #6:
Captured Bf 109 F 6+_RAF markings_Africa_1-1.jpg

Göran Larsson

Staff member
Management
Country
Sweden
Post #6 & #9: Posting an enlarged eBay photo for comparison, which if restored to airworthy condition could be a candidate :)
Captured Bf 109 F 6+Wave_Black 6_1-1LP_Desert_Africa.jpg
Old eBay auction

Göran Larsson

Staff member
Management
Country
Sweden
Yes Christian, that's a good summary worthy of a reminder and also posted in post #1 ;)

Jim Perry

Staff member
Management
Country
United-States
Bf109G-2/trop, WNr.10639, Lüdemann, Ltn. Heinz, 5+, 8./JG77, Black 6+, PG+QJ, 07-Nov-42, Notlandung due to engine trouble. Captured intact on 11-Nov, restored in UK in 1991., 11-Nov per loss for this WNr. Isken's machine according to interview., Ob.Bhf.Süd/Afrika, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #8)-Vol.13; Prien, et al, Die Jagdfliegerverbände, VIII.2, p.333; Prien, JG 77, III, p.1323., p.1322 photos; Jet & Prop 1/91 p.8,9 photo, LEMB, Sidi Barrani, b, F

Bf109G-2/trop, WNr.10639, ./., 8./JG77, Black 6+, PG+QJ, 08-Nov-42, Destroyed by own forces., Ob.Bhf.Süd/Afrika, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #8)-Vol.13; Prien, et al, Die Jagdfliegerverbände, VIII.2, p.333; Prien, JG 77, III, p.1328, LEMB, Sidi Barrani, 100%, F